Getting Divorced or Separated
Divorce/separation is a difficult and stressful time. At AIC Insurance we understand and are here to help in the transition of your insurance needs.
Whether you and your soon-to-be ex-partner are communicating or not, it helps to have a checklist that guides you through this complicated process.
When it comes to your insurance policy all named insured have equal rights over the policy. Both of you may make changes at any time. It is our responsibility to honor those changes, however it is not our responsibility to settle your separation. How you go about separating your accounts is entirely up to the two of you to work through. We cannot remove your spouse from your auto policy as a named insured without their consent.
That said, there are certain steps you can and should take when it comes to separating your insurance plan:
1. Get separate billing/physical addresses.
2. Separate the titles for all shared vehicles.
3. Create your own billing accounts
4. Once someone has moved out, they will get new homeowners insurance and can then be taken off the old plan.
5. After the titles for the vehicles have been divided, we can create a new auto policy for one of you so that the old plan may be split up.
6. If you have children, it is important you let us know where they will be staying so we can add them to your home and auto policies if needed.
We are happy to begin working to separate your insurance policies, but please know we will need the above steps to be completed before we can split up any policies.
Ada Historical Society
Ada Township Fire Department
American Cancer Society
Flat River Outreach
Fore! The Children
Grand Rapids Dream Center
Straight Street Ministries
Susan Mast ALS Foundation